Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Grandmother & Pop



My Grandparents, what can I say...I'm very lucky to still have these two. They are very interesting characters. They have been married over 60 years. My grandmother was just 13 years old (gasp) when they married, I know that sounds awful, but 6o years ago, 13 year olds were very different than they are today.

My grandparents are very independent, they both still drive, work in their yard, go fishing and camping, and love to travel, (although long trips require someone else driving).


Pop was in WWII and was stationed in Italy. He later worked many years as a security guard and still loves to dance. He's also very funny, he has this wonderful, dry sense of humor. In his younger days Pop had the reputation as someone you wouldn't want to make mad, he had no tolerance for idiots. I wish everyone could sit and listen to him talk about the past.

Grandmother is your typical grandmother. She loves to cook and boy,...is she good at it! If you could taste heaven, it would taste like her Coconut Cake. She gave birth to my mother when she was 14 ( almost 15) and then had 2 boys (Ray and Larry). In a time when large families were very common, they had a relatively small one. She too, can tell you stories about the past that are so enjoyable you could sit and listen forever.

My grandparents set several examples for all of us in the family.

1. Marriages can last, you just have to work at it
2. Your children are Never too old for discipline ( On my mothers wedding night she told pop that he would never be able to "whip" her again, to which he replied "why,... are you dying?"
3.You're never too old to become faithful members of the church.

If you are lucky enough to still have parents or grandparents from that generation, sit down and ask them to tell you their stories about their lives. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

No comments: