Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dog Days of Summer

Well, it was another 100+ degree day here and it's really getting monotonous. Let me say first of all that "I do not hold Global Warming or President Bush responsible". Growing up in the South we always had summers like this. When we were kids, did the heat ever affect us like this? I dread going out to the mailbox everyday, yet when I was younger I could stay out all day. Don't tell me it never got over 100 in Alabama. Oh...yeah, we would get hot but my Maw Maw used to fill up a "washtub" out in the yard for us to play in, or my Uncle Avery would take us to the "swifts" (the swifts was large creek where the water ran fast and cold), or we would just play under the big Weeping Willow tree in my Aunt A'trice's yard (we also played Church under her carport). I know that there have been "Heat Advisories" put out by the experts. And I'm not saying that it isn't dangerous for certain people, I'm just saying that we have gotten so used to air conditioning and other conveniences that we just can't tolerate it anymore.














Don't get me wrong, I'm counting down the days until Fall (my favorite time of the year), but until then I'll continue to run my (new) air conditioner 24 hours a day and just pray that I don't have a (heat related) stroke when I get my electric bill.

No comments: